![]() |
Chung Dong-young, who was appointed unification minister earlier in the day, visited Seoul National Cemetery in Dongjak District, Seoul, to pay his respects. / Yonhap News |
Chung Dong-young, the newly appointed unification minister, said on July 28 that he plans to recommend adjustments to the upcoming U.S.-South Korea joint military exercise, Ulchi Freedom Shield (UFS), to President Lee Jae-myung.
Speaking to reporters, Chung said, "A working-level meeting of the National Security Council (NSC) will be held on the 29th, where this issue will be a key topic. The direction of any adjustments, such as delays or downsizing, will be determined after that meeting."
When asked whether adjustments could be made given the tight schedule, he replied, "I believe it is fully possible depending on our government's determination. What is clear is that the Lee Jae-myung administration's policy stance is different from that of the Yoon Suk-yeol government. We will approach joint military drills cautiously rather than simply inheriting Yoon's policy."
Chung also noted, "Kim Yo-jong's statement today mentioned the August joint drills. That may serve as a kind of gauge."
Earlier, Kim Yo-jong, vice department director of North Korea's Workers' Party, issued a statement criticizing the exercises, saying, "The blind faith in the U.S.-ROK alliance and confrontational stance against us remain unchanged from their predecessor," adding that "our southern border will never see peace while large-scale, invasion-oriented drills continue."
Chung further instructed that civilian exchanges with North Korea be fully permitted to promote peace and abandon hostile confrontation. He stated, "We will allow contact based on notification rather than approval, as stipulated by law. In short, people will be able to freely engage in contact by simply reporting it."
1
2
3
4
5
6
7